PARTNERING TO IMPLEMENT PHASES 5 to 9
ViAGO partners with specialist service providers for Phases 1 to 4 of the 9 Phases of Productivity to clear the prerequisites to you receiving a high value Phase 7 installation. You may be using an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system such as CargoWise One and if so we will partner with a specialist in that system to support, tune and implement the technical components required.
- When the data flow needs are low in volume (e.g. small sites, manufacturing and accounting service providers) the solution can be implemented without software.
- When the data flow needs are high (e.g. Multi-Nationals, geographically separated teams, freight forwarders) the solution can also be implemented with the aid of products like DDMRP and PAVE (Productivity visualisation acceleration Engine).
PHASE 7. CONSTRAINT & RISK MANAGEMENT “Subordinating to the flow”
Phase 7 is where many businesses approach ViAGO for assistance. It is typical at this stage that there will be a need to make a step change in workflow productivity and your internal efforts are not proving as effective or as fast as you hoped.
Here’s an example of your journey and some of the things you will accomplish.
7.1 “Buckets & Buffers”
In 7.1 you will use an advanced “workflow diagram” (called a schematic) to create and size the protective buffers and to route the flow of work into these buffers (where timing matters).
- How to identify the system bottleneck.
- How to place strategic protections in the flow.
- How to size a protective buffer.
7.3 “Tuning Your System”
In 7.3 you will amplify your benefits with an ongoing tuning process. With each pass, you’ll increase the output of your operations.
- How to recover lost constraint time.
- “Pull right first time”.
- Where to placing quality assurance to eliminate constraint
7.2 “Visual Boards”
In 7.2 you will use a ‘roping’ method to schedule the release of work to match your constraint output (a Pull approach), and you will increase your constraints output.
- How to create visual feedback (buffer boards) of the state
of the system.
- How to use visual boards to shape productive behaviours.
- Understanding and implementing the Throughput World
7.4 “Process Reengineering”
In 7.4, you will ramp up your process reengineering to accelerate flows and eliminate non-productive time. You will find ways to offload the constraint to increase the Throughput velocity of your system.
- How to streamline workflows.
- Understanding the return on investment impact of the
- Changing policies and work practices that limit constraint
Your preparation will include phase 6.4 “Flushing Work In Progress” where you will flush a work in progress through your operations. During preparation you will starve the first operation to clear the queues of work in front of resources which will increase the availability and responsiveness of your resources. You will also clear the prerequisites for any incomplete jobs.
WHAT COMES AFTER
Completing Phase 7 achieves “First Pass” benefits. You can increase the performance benefit again though Phase 8 (“Second Pass” benefits).
8.1 “Statistical Process Control”
In 8.1, you will manage variation to increase and protect the reliability of your operations using advanced Measurement and Buffer Management techniques.
- How to create and interpret real time “S curves”.
- When is it safe to “reel in the ropes”.
- Buffer logging and how to use it to eliminate the
significant risks to stability.